Weiss Pediatric Care is celebrating its one year anniversary today….and what an amazing year it has been!
We opened our doors on June 3, 2013 with the dream of creating something more than business as usual, but we never could have imagined how quickly the dream would take shape.
By combining Dr. Weiss’s years of experience delivering the highest standard of pediatric care with Diane’s expertise in parenting and child development, we knew that we had something unique to offer children and their families.
It is because of our passionate, talented, committed team, that we are well on our way to becoming Sarasota’s first Pediatric Patient-Centered Medical Home. Our patients and their families are experiencing the benefits of care that is comprehensive, compassionate, family-centered, accessible, and coordinated. Hats off to our team: Rosemary Demarco, Clinical Nurse Care Coordinator and Certified Breastfeeding Counselor; Jenny Amico, Clinical Nurse Care Specialist; Kerri Bonich, Front Desk Specialist; Tara Cocco, Nurse Practitioner; Dawn Byrd, Practice Consultant; and Jamie Ross, Front Desk Assistant.
What does Weiss Pediatric Care look like a year from opening day? Here are a few highlights:
- New moms, who might otherwise have given up, are successful at breastfeeding after working with our breastfeeding counselor.
- Because children are screened at every well visit, developmental, behavioral, social-emotional, and learning problems are identified and addressed early.
- Families play an active role in choosing resources and services that best meet their children’s needs, and are guided through the referral process whenever necessary to ensure that children receive appropriate and timely services.
- Children are taking charge of their weight by learning about making good choices with our Fit4AllKidsProgram, an All Children’s Hospital evidenced based initiative.
- Children with reactive airway disease or asthma are receiving Asthma Care Plans, making it possible for parents (and ultimately children) to learn how to minimize and even prevent asthma episodes.
- Preteens and teens take an active role in their well-visits by completing questionnaires designed to give them a voice in their health and overall well-being.
- Every family has access to their children’s records through our Patient Portal, allowing them to review all medical notes, request appointments, and even access school forms upon request.
We’ve received honors including Diane’s Healthy Start Coalition’s Lawton Chiles Award, and Dr. Weiss’ Top Doctor Recognition. We are also honored to have been chosen as a participating practice in the Florida Pediatric Medical Home Demonstration Project, and for being chosen to host a Demonstration Project focus group conducted by the Urban Institute.
The Weiss Pediatric Care team is so grateful for the opportunity to provide the kind of medical care we feel is best for kids and their families. Thank you, patients and families, for embracing our dream, and believing in our vision. May this be the first of many years working with you, our community, to provide Sarasota with a comprehensive medical home!
With gratitude for a wonderful inaugural year, and with great excitement for what lies ahead,
Dr. Rob and Diane Weiss