FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT COVID TESTING AT WEISS PEDIATRIC CARE
WHO: This service is available to Weiss Pediatric Care patients who meet one of the following criteria: 1) Children with known exposure to someone who tested positive for COVID-19 or who has symptoms common to COVID-19; and/or 2) Patients with cough, fever, loss of taste or smell or other symptoms that might be due to COVID-19.
WHAT: We offer Rapid COVID-19 tests, PCR (Polymerase chain reaction) tests, and Rapid COVID-19-FLU Combo Tests.
- Rapid COVID-19 tests provide results in 15 minutes. Getting test results quickly helps us make decisions about your child’s care. When a patient’s rapid test is negative, we schedule an in-office appointment. When a rapid test is positive, we offer telehealth appointments.
- PCR tests are considered the “gold standard” to determine if a child has an active COVID-19 infection. For that reason, we recommend doing both the Rapid and PCR tests at the same time. PCR tests are sent to an outside lab. Results are usually available in 48-72 hours.
- Rapid COVID-19 & FLU Combo tests provide results in 15 minutes for both COVID-19 and Flu with a single swab. Because the symptoms are almost identical, knowing whether a child has one or both viruses (Yes! You can have COVID and FLU at the same time!) can be important for treatment recommendations.
WHERE: A member of our nursing team meets patients at their cars for COVID testing. When you arrive for testing, please park on the interstate side of our parking lot near the green awning. Be sure to call us when you arrive to let us know you’re here. We’ll also need to know the make, model, and color of your vehicle so your nurse will be able to find you. You’ll recognize your nurse because she’ll be wearing a blue protective gown, face mask, face shield, and gloves. We ask that everyone two years of age and older wear face masks when our nurse greets you at your vehicle.
HOW: Rapid and PCR tests require nose swabs, much like the ones we use for flu testing. These swabs are not deep into the nose. Instead, our nurses describe the swabs more like a “tickle” just inside the nose.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST? Most private and Medicaid insurance plans cover the cost of the Rapid COVID-19 tests and PCR tests. For those without insurance, or if insurance does not cover the cost, the costs are:
- Rapid COVID-19 tests: $50
- Rapid COVID-19-Flu Combo tests: $75
- PCR Tests – $125
For additional information, please give us a call at 941-552-8341. We’re always happy to hear from you!