The What & Why of Well-Child Examinations
At Weiss Pediatric Care, our goal is not only to help when your child is sick, but also to keep your child, and your whole family well. The most important way we do this is to see your child for a series of Well-Child Visits that are scheduled according to American Academy of Pediatrics’ guidelines. Babies and toddlers have frequent check-ups during the early years. Beginning at age three, children are seen annually for well visits.
A typical well visit at Weiss Pediatric Care may last between 30-60 minutes (so be sure to allow plenty of time when scheduling these appointments!). That’s because our preventative visits include a comprehensive head-to-toe exam and much more.
Here are some of the things you can expect at Weiss Pediatric Care’s well-child visits, in addition to a physical examination:
- Medical History & Pre-visit Questionnaire- including physical concerns, sleep habits, eating habits, screen time, exercise, school performance, extracurricular activities, and relationships with family and friends
- Vital signs documentation – height, weight, and blood pressure
- Growth and development monitoring
- Vision (including Spot Vision screening for infants and young children), hearing, hemoglobin, urine, and cholesterol testing
- Developmental, social/emotional, and behavioral screening – completed by parents and preteens/teens
- Health education and anticipatory guidance – for injury prevention, risk reduction, and parenting success
- Vaccinations – a series of important immunizations that help prevent serious illnesses and even saves lives.
- Referrals – medical, developmental, educational, and mental health specialists, as needed
Together with you and your child, we will also assess what, if anything warrants a closer look or a longer conversation. We may ask you to schedule a follow-up visit for issues and concerns such as school problems; ADHD; allergy and asthma management; acne, wart removal and other skin problems; diet and healthy weight; and chronic stomachaches or headaches.
Well visit surveys and handouts are made available to you through the Patient Portal. Be sure to check your child’s portal several days prior to a scheduled well visit so that you can complete necessary surveys and review developmental information ahead of time.
Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your child’s journey toward a lifetime of good health and well-being.
The Weiss Pediatric Care Team